Sunday, August 29, 2010
Fun Fact - Animal
1. A baby bat is called a pup.
2. It takes forty-two days for an ostrich egg to hatch.
3. The anaconda, one of the world’s largest snakes, gives birth to its young instead of laying eggs.
4. The only two mammals to lay eggs are the platypus and the echidna. The mothers nurse their babies through pores in their skin.
5. Some ribbon worms will eat themselves if they cannot find food.
6. The original name for butterfly was the flutterby.
7. The giant cricket of Africa enjoys eating human hair.
8. Grasshoppers have white blood.
9. Male bees will try to attract sex partners with orchid fragrance.
10. A cockroach’s favorite food is the glue on the back of stamps.
11. If a frog’s mouth is held open for too long, the frog will suffocate.
12. Toads don’t have teeth, but frogs do.
13. Golden toads are so rare that a biological reserve has been specifically created for them.
14. An iguana can stay under water for twenty-eight minutes.
15. Male western fence lizards do push-ups on tree limbs as a courtship display for females.
16. A blind chameleon still changes color to match its environment.
17. Each eye of the chameleon is independent of the other. The lizard can watch and study two totally different pictures at the same time.
18. Komodo dragons eat deer and wild boar.
19. To escape the grip of a crocodile’s jaws, push your thumbs into its eyeballs. It will let you go instantly.
20. Alligators cannot move backward.
21. The only continent without reptiles or snakes is Antarctica.
22. Snakes do not urinate. They secrete and excrete uric acid, which is a solid, chalky, usually white substance.
23. It takes about fifty hours for a snake to digest one frog.
24. The flying snake of Java and Malaysia is able to flatten itself out like a ribbon and sail like a glider from tree to tree.
25. A group of owls is called a parliament.
26. Male monkeys lose the hair on their heads in the same manner men do.
27. Gorillas beat their chests when they get nervous.
28. Vampire bats adopt orphans and have been known to risk their lives to share food with less-fortunate roost-mates.
29. The male moose sheds its antlers every winter and grows a new set the following year.
30. Moose have very poor vision. Some have even tried to mate with cars.
31. Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.
32. There is no single cat called the panther. The name is commonly applied to the leopard, but it is also used to refer to the puma and the jaguar. A black panther is really a black leopard.
33. The grizzly bear is capable of running as fast as the average horse.
34. The domestic cat is the only species able to hold its tail vertically while walking. Wild cats hold their tails
horizontally or tucked between their legs while walking.
Posted by radioHEAD at 4:35 PM